Jan 9, 2013

Yoga in my living room

I've been trying to do more yoga at home lately. To relax and most importantly, to stretch and to prevent my lower back from seizing up as it does sometimes.

I do a Dynamic Flow Yoga class at the gym on Monday evenings. It's intense and a really great workout. To further supplement it, I've taken to YouTube and following workouts on the doyogawithme channel.  I'd love to join a proper yoga studio but it's just not practical at the moment so YouTube does just fine.

YouTube is great for yoga practice. There are so many videos for different levels. I invested in an HDMI cable ($4.95, thanks eBay!) and just hook it up to the TV so I don't have to squint at the screen.  I highly recommend it.

I did the sequence below on Sunday afternoon in my living room as I felt very tight and needed a gentle, guided stretch before the intense Flow Yoga class on Monday.  I found Melissa's video very soothing. She gradually takes you through the poses, all the while reminding you to be conscious of your breathing. Her voice is gentle, soft and doesn't rush you or push you to do anything you aren't comfortable with.

I will definitely be doing this stretch again as it's gentle and ideal for days when all you want is to stretch those aching muscles and prepare for hard work the next day.

No comments: